Monday, April 28, 2008

Why Product Managers Need to be Involved in Implementation

Ok, it needs to be said - every Product Manager that has ever said to a developer "hey, I'm just the marketing guy." or "hey, I'm not responsible for the implementation." (which, btw, are my 2 favorite lines to say to a developer) is not doing their job.

I can show you why...

TD Bank has my money in Canada, but I'm wondering if I should trust them when they have UX design like this:
Why does their search look like the cockpit of a plane?

Are they purposefully making it difficult to find them to hedge against a bank run?

Are bank addresses more difficult to find than restaurant addresses?

Why are Yelp and Google Maps able to have search boxes like this? (just enter what you're "near")


I suspect, that doing a query across all these fields, or the "join" was deemed "too expensive" by TD's development team.

That's it - I'm taking my lifesavings and buying Google stock.

1 comment:

MarkS said...

The better question is why do you even need to visit a branch?